Whether you want to reset your body after the holidays or just get back in shape with a simple guideline you can follow then this challenge is just right for you:
- 21 days (start whenever you want)
- minimum 7 hours of sleep: your body, especially your brain, needs rest. If you need less sleep then that's also fine. More importantly, focus on getting enough sleep every night and make sure your sleep quality is good. Tricks to do that are cooling the room, make sure your room is completely dark and refrain from using computer screens or reading the news before going to bed.
- hydrate: minimum 1L of water per 25kg body weight (1/4 gallon per 55lbs body weight). Pure water, no flavoured or sweetened water as you also want to reset your taste buds in terms of sweetness sensitivity.
- minimum 2 portions of veggies per day (ideally as much greens as possible as green vegetables tend to be more nutrient rich. Examples: broccoli, spinach, kale, brussel sprouts)
- no sugar: this means obvious sugar sources like desserts, sodas, etc. When it comes to fruits then please don't go overboard. One fruit a day should be totally enough.
- no alcohol (yes, also no red wine): staying away from alcohol will help your good gut bacteria flourish and make it easier for your liver to flush out the toxins.
- whole foods only: for example eggs, quinoa, rice, sweet potatoes, meat, fish, nuts, seeds etc. but no bread, pasta, corn flakes etc. and also no fruit juices because you want to get as much fiber as possible (exceptions: processed foods like avocado oil, macadamia oil, olive oil is fine, ideally organic and extra-virgin; ready-to-eat meals that are flash-frozen without any preservatives are also fine)
- move for a minimum of 20 minutes per day: this could be anything from yoga, stretching to walking, running or a HIIT workout.
To help you get started simply download and print out our 21-day-challenge sheet here. Ideally, you'd want to achieve 100% after 3 weeks, of course but trying to be perfect often leads to failure. If you try to get it perfect then even the smallest distraction can lead to quitting, or demotivate you to start at all. That's why we're suggesting that you go for 80% which is ticking off 118 of all the 147 boxes on the sheet...totally doable! 💪
If you want to increase your chances for success make an agreement for yourself, e.g. a reward if you hit the 80%. Alternatively, use stickk.com and commit to a certain financial amount that you'd lose to a person or organization of your choice if you don't hit your goal.
Share your challenge progress with us on social media by tagging us @exerbell and #21daychallenge and #exerbellchallenge
Want more motivation? Share this challenge with friends and family members and get someone to do it with you 👊